Text

Testimonial
Thank you so much for my first painting lesson. I feel quite emotional, mostly because I regret that I didn’t do this decades ago! Well, there’s no time like the present…
Susan Calvin

181017 Demonstration of Alla Prima Landscape Painting from a Photo



A demonstration from this morning's art class of Alla Prima Landscape Painting from a Photo. The object is to try to have the painting look like it was done from life. So don't get drawn into slavishly copying the photographic reference. Palette: Titanium white, Cadmium yellow pale hue, permanent rose, cobalt blue, ivory black and burnt umber for the background wash and drawing and notan. I used this demo to introduce the concept of a 'Notan'. See the definition below from Wikipedia. I think it's a useful technique to use, especially in en plein air painting.

This took 30 minutes but the video is compressed down to about 1m 30s.

Nōtan (濃淡) is a Japanese design concept involving the play and placement of light and dark elements as they are placed next to the other in the composition of art and imagery.